What is a specialty pharmacy?
A specialty pharmacy delivers medicine and treatments to patients with serious, ongoing or rare medical issues. These medicines usually cost over $1,000 for a 30-day supply. They often need special storage and handling such as refrigeration. A specialty pharmacy helps your employees get their medicine quickly. It also provides extra support for them and their doctors.
What if my employees need a specialty medicine?
Some specialty medicines require prior authorization. Your employee’s doctor can get this by calling OptumRx. Our specialty pharmacy will also help with the prior authorization process.
Optum Specialty Pharmacy
Optum Specialty Pharmacy is the specialty pharmacy for the Culinary Health Fund. Employees can only get their specialty medicine from Optum Specialty Pharmacy.
If your employee needs a specialty medicine, Optum Specialty Pharmacy will:
- Help them get prior authorization
- Teach them how to take their medicine. For example, how to inject their medicine.
- Send their medicine to their home for free
- Provide refill reminders
- Help them manage their side effects
- Work with their doctor to help make sure their treatment is working
How much will it cost my employees?
Specialty prescription costs vary based on the drug. If your employees need a specialty drug on our variable copay program, they may pay up to 25% of the cost. There’s also a savings program available for these specialty prescriptions.
How do my employees send a prescription to Optum Specialty Pharmacy?
Your employee’s doctor’s office or a hospital can send in the prescription by phone, fax, or e-prescription.
- Phone: 866-618-6741
- Fax: 866-618-6692
How do my employees get their prescription from Optum Specialty Pharmacy?
Your employees can have their medicine delivered to their home or their doctor’s office for free.
- Your employee or their authorized representative will be required to schedule the delivery.
- UPS will deliver their medicine.
- The doctor’s office will only be contacted regarding the prescription shipment if your employee’s prescription will be injected or infused at their doctor’s office.